- 3 green apples
- 4 dried dates
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 5 cups So Good Original or Vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Remove the peels and cores from apples and discard. Cut apples into small bite size pieces. Remove and discard pits from dates, then finely chop dates.
- Place chopped apples and dates into a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking pan along with rice, 4 cups (1 L) So Good, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. If using So Good Original, stir in vanilla extract; if using So Good Vanilla, omit the vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, stirring once about half way through the baking time. Rice should be tender to the bite when done.
- Remove from oven onto a baking rack and rest for 10 minutes. Stir in reserved 1 cup (250 mL) of So Good. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve warmed or chilled. Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon before serving, if desired.
Serves 8 (or 6 cups/1.5 L).
Recipe by Chef Voula Halliday