- 12 slices whole wheat or whole grain bread
- 8 dried dates
- 1 cup So Good Vanilla
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- Vanilla or plain non dairy yogurt (optional)
- Fresh berries (optional)
- Lightly oil or spray an 8×8-inch (20×20-cm) square baking pan and set aside. Cut crusts off of bread and set bread slices aside.
- Remove pits from dates and discard. Coarsely chop dates then place into the bowl of a food processor or blender with So Good Vanilla and cinnamon. Pulse ingredients until mixture is smooth. Add eggs into mixture and pulse until well combined. Set aside.
- Place 4 pieces of bread, making a square, to cover the bottom of the pan. If necessary, squish the bread a bit to fit the slices in. Pour about ⅓ of the So Good mixture onto the bread base, trying to evenly cover each slice. Repeat this process with the bread and the So Good mixture twice more, for a total of 3 layers. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to evenly spread mixture over the top layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, remove pan from the fridge and set aside to come to room temperature. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and the bread starts to pull away from the edges. Allow to rest in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife along the inside edge of the pan, then cut into the 4 sections. Using a spatula, remove each section to a cutting board. Cut each section into 4 even slices and serve 2 per person. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled. If desired, sprinkle with additional cinnamon, and top with yogurt and fresh berries.
Tip: Slices can be easily reheated – cover in foil, then place on a baking sheet and bake in preheated 350°C (180°F) oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
Recipe by Chef Voula Halliday
Nutrients per serving: 200.3 calories, 4.3 g fat (1.1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 72.3 g cholesterol, 10.2 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 4.5 g fibre, 9.8 g sugars, 286.6 mg sodium, 111 mg calcium